Bobcats vs Magic: Pre-game notes & quotes
- Head Coach Paul Silas has stuck to his primary man-to-man defensive philosophy so far this season and will continue that way tonight. He was asked about the plan to slow down Howard and whether or not the Bobcats would be doubling down on him.
- “We’re not just going to let him go one-on-one, so we’ll dig back, but they’ve got so many shooters that when you double team him (Howard), you got to get back out at those guys and you’re always going to be late, so we’ll see how it goes. We might have to double him if he’s killing us down there,” commented Silas on the strategy against Howard.
- Bismack Biyombo’s performance on Wednesday night was a night and day difference from the opener on Monday, and in a good way.
- “You know, his main thing is defensive rebounding and he’s really getting good at that. He really didn’t know that much about pro basketball from this point-of-view, but he’s learning and he really wants to learn and that’s the whole key. Been working with him on his offensive game a little bit, and that’s improving, but I look probably to the mid part of the year and I really think he’s going to be improved,” said Silas about Biyombo.
- Through two game Gerald Henderson has made the strides forward that many predicted that he would. Silas was asked if he was surprised with Henderson’s high FG% to this point.
- “Not really. He (Henderson) works so hard on his shooting and at the end of last year he was very consistent, and I just felt he was going to be that way this year. If he continued to be consistent and if he was healthy, and he’s healthy and has the confidence. The three point shot he hit the other night (Wednesday) was just phenomenal. It was right on the money, with confidence,” commented Silas on Henderson, the biggest scoring threat the Bobcats possess early in the season.
- Silas on the keys to winning tonight’s game:
- “Well we got to rebound and we’ve got to contest their shots, but prior to this (tonight) they (Magic) weren’t running that much, but they really got up and down the floor last night, so we’re going to have to get back on defense,” said Silas about the keys to beating Orlando.
- Silas acknowledged that he will use DeSagna Diop more tonight to matchup against Howard.
- “We will use him. He’s (Diop) still got to work on getting in better shape, which he is. He is a big body and we are going to play him against Dwight Howard,” said Silas.
- Jameer Nelson is OUT tonight for the Magic with neck spasms.
- Tyrus Thomas is OUT again tonight for the Bobcats. Thomas was cleared to start running on treadmill today and Silas said “hopefully next week” when asked about his return to game action.
Comments are closed.