Who: Washington Wizards vs Charlotte Bobcats
What: NBA Basketball – Wizards Home Game
When: 7:00 PM ET
Where: Live at Verizon Center, Washington D.C.
|Washington||33-30||103.0 (18)||102.7 (11)||95.6 (19)|
|Charlotte||30-34||99.7 (25)||101.5 (7)||95.3 (21)|
Washington: Kevin Seraphin (Probable), Nene Hilario (OUT)
Charlotte: Brendan Haywood (OUT), Jeffery Taylor (OUT)
|PG||John Wall||Kemba Walker|
|SG||Bradley Beal||Gerald Henderson|
|SF||Trevor Ariza||Michael Kidd-Gilchrist|
|PF||Trevor Booker||Josh McRoberts|
|C||Marcin Gortat||Al Jefferson|
|6th Man||Martell Webster||Gary Neal|
- Tonight the Bobcats play a big time game and one that will have heightened implications for the backend of the eastern conference playoff race. Currently, the Wiz sit 3 1/2 games up on Charlotte and in the fifth seed, but a Charlotte win tonight would pull them a game closer in the standings and tie the season series – there will be two more games left in this series after tonight (home-and-home). Tie-breaker very much still in the air.
- Gerald Henderson will rejoin the starting lineup tonight after missing five games due to a right calf strain that he suffered in Oklahoma City. This is good news for the Bobcats, I think, right? CDR has been phenomenal in Hendo’s absence and I’ve referenced several times this week that I believe how Clifford manages CDR + Hendo’s minutes as the playoffs approach will be very interesting. CDR in Hendo’s absence (5 games): 30 MPG, 12.4 PPG, 3.8 RPG, 52.2 3FG%.
- Steve Clifford has made it clear that the guys “who don’t get it” will not play as this team approaches the post-season. Clifford has a playoff squad and he’s going to coach them like that for the remainder of the season.
- I joined Conor Dirks of the Wizards ESPN TrueHoop blog ‘Truth About It’ to talk about tonight’s matchup and many other intriguing questions regarding the Bobcats. Interesting stuff and props to TAI – they’re doing some awesome coverage of the Wiz.
- Washington lost their starting center Nene seven games ago to an MCL injury, but they haven’t lost a step since that — the Wizards are 5-2 without Nene. Marcin Gortat, the Wiz’ current starting center has certainly not been anything to mock – past five games: 14 PPG, 11 RPG, 60 FG%. Gortat is a very smart player on both ends of the floor. He’ll be a tough matchup for Jefferson tonight because of the fact that he defends so well with both arms – an underrated defensive skill for a big man.
- LISTEN to Al Jefferson talk to Scott Van Pelt and Ryen Russillo on ‘SVP & RUSSILLO’ (ESPN Radio) – talking about his decision to sign in the off-season with Charlotte, the Bobcats success this season, his NBA journey + success and what it’s like playing for owner Michael Jordan.
- And last, but certainly not least, LISTEN to the latest PodCats Show. Doug Branson and I talk about the playoff push, minutes distribution, and fair warning, I get a little passionate talking Biz and MKG at one point. Enjoy.
- Prediction tonight: 96-95 Bobcats.