Who: Atlanta Hawks vs Charlotte Bobcats
What: NBA Basketball – Hawks Home Game
When: 7:30 PM ET
Where: Live at Phillips Arena, Atlanta, GA
|Atlanta||37-43||103.3 (15)||104.0 (15)||96.9 (13)|
|Charlotte||41-39||101.3 (23)||101.3 (6)||94.9 (21)|
Atlanta: Paul Millsap (OUT-rest), Kyle Korver (OUT-rest), DeMarre Carroll (OUT-rest), Al Horford (OUT)
Charlotte: Brendan Haywood (OUT), Jeffery Taylor (OUT)
|PG||Jeff Teague||Kemba Walker|
|SG||Louis Williams||Gerald Henderson|
|SF||Cartier Martin||Michael Kidd-Gilchrist|
|PF||Mike Scott||Josh McRoberts|
|C||Pero Antic||Al Jefferson|
|6th Man||Shelvin Mack||Gary Neal|
First of all, if you haven’t heard the PodCats Show from Friday, you have to go ahead and catch up here. Doug Branson, Greg Pietras and myself debate Charleston, SC, why I cannot pronounce too many NBA names correctly and, of course, everything Bobcats.
We’ll be LIVE again tomorrow at 6:30 — LISTEN HERE.
- Let’s start with the fact that Atlanta has won 11 straight games over the Bobcats. So, there’s that to chew on. Although, Atlanta has elected to rest three starters tonight since they’re locked into the 8th seed – Millsap, Korver & Carroll.
- All Bobcats fans will be paying close attention to two games in the association tonight. Of course, our game, but the Wizards will host Miami. A Bobcats win + Wizards loss means Charlotte will move back into the six seed with just one game remaining. Currently, Washington does control their own destiny for the sixth seed if they win out (vs. Miami, @ Boston).
- Unfortunately for Charlotte, Atlanta has been playing solid basketball as of late — it’s started on the defensive end. In the past five games (4-1) Atlanta is sporting a defensive rating 96.1 (-7.9 from season avg.), which would be on par with the best NBA defensive team, but this is a very small sample and obviously not sustainable. Nonetheless, as I’ve mentioned numerous times, playoff teams begin to defend much harder this time of the year.
- Atlanta sophomore, and ex-UVA standout, Mike Scott has been a secret weapon for the Hawks this season. In the past ten games Scott is only getting around 16 minutes per night, but he’s been extremely effective with those minutes — 8.6 PPG + 53.5% FG. Scott can stretch it all the way out to the three-point line, although he’s not great from there – he’s an excellent mid-range shooter. He’ll certainly be a factor tonight and will start in the place of Paul Millsap.
- Hawks center Pero Antic will play tonight. In the last meeting between these two teams back on March 17th Brand & Antic held Jefferson to just 16 points on 6-15 shooting.
- Atlanta’s horse Paul Millsap will sit tonight for Atlanta. Good thing, because Millsap has carried the Hawks all year long and hasn’t shown too many signs of slowing down recently — 18.6 PPG + 11 RPG in the past five.
- Kemba did go through shoot-around with the team this morning in Atlanta and is expected to start tonight.
- With Atlanta sitting three starters tonight, they’re lending as much of a hand as possible for the Bobcats to track the Wizards down in search of the sixth seed.
- Prediction: Bobcats 102-92.